This hands-on workshop will introduce you to digital mapping and spatial analysis using the QGIS software. No prior experience is necessary. This workshop is geared toward the true beginner. Participants will learn:
- Fundamental geographic principles
- QGIS software navigation
- Basic spatial data visualization and manipulation
- How to create a map
- GIS resources at Texas A&M University
- Registration is required.
- Registered attendees who are late forfeit their seats after 10 minutes.
To prepare for the workshop:
- You will be responsible for logging into the Open Access Lab computer during the workshop. If you do not have an OAL login please request a temporary login at the Evans Library Service Desk (bring a photo ID) before the class. All visitors to our campus are eligible to receive a temporary login at the Service Desk.
- The workshop takes place in an Open Access Lab. You do not need to bring your own computer.
- You will need around 100 Mb of space on your OAL account to download data sets. Please ensure you have this space available before the workshop.
- You are not required to download the Workshop Materials (below) before the workshop. However, if you would like a paper copy of the tutorial to work with during the workshop, please print it ahead of time. (In order to have the most recent version of the tutorial, please wait until the day of the workshop to print it out.)
- In order to provide the best experience possible, please let us know if you need accommodations (wheelchair access, visual impairments,etc.).